Tips to Save on Electric Costs This Spring
OCALA, Fla. (March 14, 2019) – Ocala Electric Utility would like to provide a few simple tips to keep homes cool and electric costs down this spring.
- Keep thermostats set no lower than 78 degrees when home.
- Keep thermostats set at a minimum of 83 degrees or higher when away from home for more than four hours. Every degree below 78 degrees raises cooling costs by approximately six to eight percent per degree.
- Change air conditioner filters monthly.
- Keep blinds or drapes closed during the day to reduce heat gain from the sun.
- Adjust ceiling fans to turn counter-clockwise during the summer months.
- Turn off or unplug any unnecessary lights and electronic devices.
“Home cooling systems work harder than ever during the summer to maintain your current temperature settings,” said Mike Poucher, Director, Ocala Electric Utility. “Air conditioning can account for approximately 45 percent or more of your total power costs. Visit www.myenergyplanner.com to find out your estimated daily power usage and get personalized tips to save on your electric costs this summer.”
For more information, please contact Ocala Electric Utility at 352-629-2489 or visit www.ocalaelectric.org.